Monday, October 22, 2007

changing perspective.



for the past year i have been in love with a bed that is sold at urban outfitters...it's really just a headboard, but i simply adore it. i pull it up online every once in a while- and dream how i would change the look of my room (and, maybe even my life!!) if i owned it. i stare, and then i practically remind myself that i have a perfectly good bedroom set that is meeting my needs-i may not love it- but, it's material, so i'm not supposed to love it anyway, right? subtly, the way i felt about my own furniture drastically changed- i went from liking my set, to being indifferent about it, to really disliking it...it was the same, i was different.

a few days ago my wonderful, supportive, and stylish husband suggested that we list our current set on craig's list- "give it a shot, if it sells- great! use the money to buy what we want- if it doesn't sell, we'll keep what we have." so, we made the bed (which we do each morning)-but we took a little extra time-making it look just so, we fluffed the pillows bigger, took the books off our side tables and then we snapped the picture. as i looked at the picture displayed on the back of my camera, my perspective changed...i liked my furniture in the picture, it looked simple and nice..it was the same, i was different.

since then, i've been thinking some about perspective and how the accuracy of mine is within my power...that's really neat, and scary.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

How very insightful and thought-provoking! That's probably something I should spend a little more time pondering.

spaghettipie said...

amazing insight. thanks for sharing. I thought of you this morning when I was brushing my teeth. The hot water in our house takes forever to get where it needs to be (aka my bathroom). I waited for the warm water to come out of the faucet and thought it came unusually quickly. Then I realized it was because it was so stinking cold in my bathroom that the water actually felt warmer than normal. Perspective. :)

kellie said...

nikki, i absolutly LOVE that you are in my life! what would I do with out your thought out words, great since of humor and outstanding humble character? I love what you have to say! thank you for challenging me.

Krista Sanders said...

This one just moved up to my favorite one! Love that you wrote about that. I honestly don't think taking a picture of mine would help me with what I picked out in 1992!!

TJ Wilson said...

ditto to all these responses... love that you see the Godly in the daily. You inspire me, amiga.

Life in the Inn full of Andersons