Monday, October 8, 2007

consumer or producer?



the above picture is avalon tonight at dinner- consuming blueberries...what a mess!!anyway, we've been studying a bit about the food-chain around here...about how there are two basic parts: consumers and producers. it got me thinking, in my life what am i? do i produce or do i consume- or do i do both (which i do) and, if so, is it balanced as it should be? in my marriage, in my friendships, in my neighborhood and in my city, with the environment, with my kids? i hadn't even thought of it within my relationship to the Church- until sunday when our pastor shared this quote (from the stop consumer christianity movement): "the only customer of the Church should be God. the people who attend the Church should come with the expectation and excitement to serve God and others. we are the employees, not the customers."...wow and ouch. in life, is it apparent to all that i am working to produce fruit for the eternal kingdom? probably not.

3 comments:

spaghettipie said...

Okay, first of all - great picture! Interesting thoughts, and they echo some of the thoughts rattling in my brain and on some of the blogs I've been reading. In this day and age, we are far too out of balance. . .

bobbythebhive said...

i'm 90 pages thru a leaflet written by a south african pastor named Xola, who serves and lives in a black township. You have to click in your right check when you pronounce the X in his name. He feels as though the white church should be disbanded, because it hasn't full embraced the reality of the cross in dealings with everyday life - ie: consumerism....otherwise slavery and apartheid would have never existed in SA without the white church strongly resisting it. He thinks we need the poor, so we can keep the demand high for a western consumer based idealized life. the books called "Disband the White Church." I think i'm listening.

Krista Sanders said...

It is overwhelmingly apparent to me, friend! You have been a producer in my life- no doubt. I know you weren't fishing for this but I wanted you to know what I see!

Life in the Inn full of Andersons