Wednesday, November 7, 2007

sink thoughts.


we had potty talk...so why not sink thoughts!

i have this area above my kitchen sink where i post things...a verse i am thinking about, a quote from sunday's sermon, a line from a book. as much as putting up a new one, i love to look back at the old ones- they remind me of the things i was thinking about for those weeks that it sat there. my newest thought comes from the book i am reading now- "through gates of splendor"...i'm sure many of you have read it- but this is my first time...i am (hopefully!!) being changed by it's pages.

a few nights ago i read this: "wherever you are, be all there. live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God" i pondered it for a minute- it struck me as wise...what does it mean to "live to the hilt" my marriage- (even when we don't have a babysitter lined up:) what about motherhood- how do i "live to the hilt" these days with atlee, beckett and avalon by my side (i think for me, this has something to do with watching my tone, not being grumpy- and being intentional about how i fill the hours that we spend together-trying to switch out the tv for books more, not answering the phone when we're in the middle of a game, making eye contact when they speak-simple courtesy that i find easier to extend to a stranger than my kids) and what about in my friendships? relationships at church? so much to think about! as jeff and i lay in bed that night i shared these thoughts with him.

the next day i happened to read a devotional about being still before God...i was taking in her thoughts, and then she wrote "makes me think of a quote of jim elliot's- wherever you are, be all there. live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God" -there it was again! she writes of "living to the hilt" with regards to stillness- hadn't thought about that one. later that same night jeff and i tucked in and watched a movie...during one of the more dramatic points, the main character looked at the actress opposite of him and said- "a long time ago someone told me two words that changed my life: be present." i am beginning to wonder if someone is trying to teach me something!

the photo above is one of those moments...it's me, studying avalon for the first time. fully present, totally there, living it to the hilt in the stillness of the room.

9 comments:

Alyssa said...

Amazing words of wisdom. Thanks for giving me something to think about, as usual!

The Redford Family said...

Love it girl - you are so right - be ALL there, not just half-way, partly, sorta, ALL there! Thanks for going deep & challenging me. I love to share in your thoughts!
K

kellie said...

nikki, i love your words. much needed. it was not untill i enlarged the picture of you & avalon that i saw such beauty in your tears and your gaze upon your sweet little girl studying her, i love that! I love that you have your wedding ring on & that you probably did not notice the person taking the picture and it was only when you saw it you realized that someone had captured that precise moment for you. thank you for encouraging me and pressing me to sit and be.

spaghettipie said...

What a precious picture. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Inspiring, as usual.

Miss Porter said...

Beautiful! Hope your thoughts sink into me.

Krista Sanders said...

The picture itself is worth a thousand words........
I love that quote too and appreciate your words about it. You are a wise woman and someone I am thankful for-- that I get to hang out with you and learn!

TJ Wilson said...

Wow, God speaks clearly to you, huh? love it. Beautiful photo, beautiful thoughts.

kristen said...

nikki -- i found my way here through tenelle's blog. it's always so interesting to me to find out people i know who have blogs. it's fun to see recent photos of your kids. wishing you and your family a blessed season of advent.

ke said...

nikki- i'd love to give you the recipe- not sure of your email address though. mine is kerryeddy (at) gmail (dot) com!

Life in the Inn full of Andersons